Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1.5 litres Shrimp Stock – Substitute with Water if unavailable
500 g Shrimp – Shelled and deveined
300 g Squid – Cut into 1-inch sizes, score surface with knife for better texture
300 g Oyster Mushroom – Tear into chunks of similar size by hand
100 g Red Chili – Cut into slices
7-8 Kaffir Lime Leaf – Tear in half by hand
2 stalks Lemongrass – Pound slightly with pestle and mortar, or with rolling pin if unavailable
30 g Galangal – Around 1-inch chunk
(Optional) 1 Muslin Cloth to wrap up for easier removal
8 stalks Bird’s Eye Chili – Cut in half
25 g (2 Tbsp) Thai Chili Paste – Substitute with Chili paste if unavailable
100 ml Lime Juice
30 ml (3 Tbsp) Fish Sauce
15 g (1 ½ Tbsp) Sugar
3g (½ tsp) Salt
10 g (1 Tbsp) Vji Brand MSG
Cilantro for garnish
1. Heat up water or shrimp stock in a pot until boiling. Add the shrimp and squid and cook for 30 seconds, then take out and put aside to avoid over cooking.
2. Turn down the heat to a simmer, add in the oyster mushroom and red chili. Cook for around 3 minutes and remove any scum that appears on the surface of the liquid.
3. Add in Part A, wrapped in muslin cloth if you wish to remove it at the end (Part A items are tough and not recommended to be eaten, but will impart essential flavors to the soup). Turn up the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 10 minutes to impart flavors.
4. Turn down the heat back to a slight simmer, and add in Part B, the squid and the shrimp that was put aside earlier. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
5. Season the soup with Part C. Stir and mix well, under low heat.
6. Recheck for taste and adjust as needed. Serve hot garnished with Cilantro.