Sweet and Sour Chicken
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
500g Chicken Meat – Cut into 1-inch sizes
5g (1 tsp) Salt
5g (1 tsp) Vji Brand Pepper Powder
100g Corn Flour – For coating
1 Litre Cooking Oil – For deep frying, save 3 Tbsp for stir-frying
15g (2 Clove) Garlic – Chopped
100g Red Bell Pepper – Cut into bite-size pieces
100g Yellow Bell Pepper – Cut into bite-size pieces
150g Pineapple – Cut into bite-size pieces
50g Rice Vinegar
30g (2 Tbsp) Ketchup
3g (½ tsp) Salt
3g (½ tsp) Vji Brand MSG
Spring Onion to garnish.
1. Marinate chicken meat with salt and pepper, chill for 20 minutes.
2. Heat up cooking oil for deep frying to 180 degrees celcius. Check temperature with disposable wooden chopsticks, if it bubbles a lot around the edge of chopsticks in contact with oil, the temperature should be ok.
3. Take out chicken meat from chiller. Coat the chicken meat with a layer of corn flour, deep fry the chicken for around 3 minutes or until cooked through and it floats on the top layer of oil. Remove from oil and put aside on a piece of kitchen towel (liquid absorbent thick tissue paper) to drain excess oil.
4. In a wok or frying pan, heat up 3 Tbsp of oil, and fry the garlic on low heat until fragrant but not brown.
5. Add in both the bell peppers, and the pineapple. Turn to high heat and stir-fry for around 1 minute.
6. Add in the chicken that was fried before this, turn to medium heat. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
7. Push all the contents in the wok or frying pan to the side to clear some space at the middle. Add in Part A and turn to low heat. Mix well until all the sugar, salt, MSG crystals dissolve.
8. Mix everything together and stew for a slight 1 minute for flavor to mingle together.
9. Serve hot garnished with chopped spring onions.