Preparation Time: 60 minutes
800 g Chicken Meat – Cut into bite-sized chunks, skin on for extra flavor.
50g (5 Tbsp) Cooking Oil
250g Thick Coconut Milk
30g Palm Sugar
30g Galangal – Cut into small chunks for easier blending
30g Turmeric – Cut into small chunks for easier blending
2 stalks Lemongrass – Cut into small chunks for easier blending
30g (4 cloves) Garlic
15g Dried Chili
50g Red Chili
40g (4 Tbsp) Water
10g (5 leaf) Kaffir Lime Leaf – Sliced thinly
30g (4 Tbsp) Grated Coconut – Toasted until slight brown, pound until fine
5g (1 tsp) Salt
5g (1 tsp) Vji Brand MSG
5g (1 tsp) Vji Brand Chicken Stock Powder
1. In a blender, put in Part A and blend to a smooth paste.
2. In a wok or a pot, heat up the cooking oil. Put in Part A that has been blended into paste form. Fry under low heat until paste darkens and oil starts to split, taking care not to burn.
3. Turn to medium heat. Add in the chicken, and stir well so the paste coats the chicken evenly.
4. Add in the thick coconut milk, water, and palm sugar. When it starts to boil, turn to low heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, add in Part B and stir well. Cook for another 5 minutes or to desired thickness of rendang.
6. Recheck for taste and adjust as needed. Serve hot and especially over freshly steamed rice.