Fish Head Curry
Preparation Time: 60 minutes
1 Fish Head
20 g (1 ½ Tbsp) Salt
15 g (1 tsp) Tamarind Paste
100 ml Water
30 g (6 cloves) Garlic
80 g (2 numbers) Shallot
10 g (8 numbers) Dried Chilli
40 g (2 Tbsp) Fish Curry Powder
10 g (0.5 cm thick slice) Ginger
30 ml (2 Tbsp) Water
30 ml (2 Tbsp) Cooking Oil
3 g (0.5 tsp) Mustard Seeds
5 g (1 tsp) Fenugreek Seeds
60 g (1 number) Yellow Onion, Cut into 4
2 g (5 leaf) Curry leaf
600 ml Water
20 g (1 ½ tsp) Tamarind Paste
100 g String Bean, Cut to 2-inch sizes
100 g (4 numbers) Ladies’ Finger, Cut to 1-inch sizes
70 g (2 numbers) Fried Beancurd, Cut into 4
10 g (1 Tbsp) Sugar
3 g (½ tsp) Salt
2 g (1 tsp) Vji Brand Pepper Powder
5 g (1 tsp) Vji Brand MSG
1. Wash and clean the fish head mentioned in Part A. Mix all the ingredients in A together and leave aside for 20 minutes.
2. Blend all ingredients in B in a blender, or pound all into a paste together with a pestle with mortar.
3. In a pot or wok, heat cooking oil mentioned in Part C and fry all the ingredients in C under low heat until fragrant. Add in B and continue cooking under low heat until the paste darkens slightly and the oil separates out, taking care not to burn the mix.
4. Add in D and turn up to high heat. When the curry starts to boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Discard the liquid in A, wipe off the excess salt. Put the fish head into the curry, and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
6. Add in the seasoning as per E, and stir well. Recheck for taste and adjust as needed.
7. Serve hot and enjoy especially with freshly cooked rice.